Fun Swap with Crystal Flowers



Hello everyone! It's Bibi here today and I'm going to show you some cards made with a set of flower dies that I've fallen madly in love with! I'm not affiliated with the manufacturer (Elizabeth Craft Designs), I'm just a happy customer and I love this set of dies because it's so versatile and the size of the petals allow for a good surface to stamp on.

My friend Judi Kauffman and I are both fans of this set of dies (Crystal Flower Set 1), so we decided to do a swap. To keep it simple there was only one requirement: Use any Rubber Dance stamps along with the dies. In addition, I gave Judi permission to revise my card if she wanted to add to or alter it. She isn’t a minimalist so I had a feeling she’d want to make a few changes.... She took the bait!

Here's my original Crystal Flowers card:






To make the paper for the flowers, I used a grid mask and Distress inks on a piece of watercolor paper, then lightly sprayed some water for the speckled effect. Make sure your paper is completely dry before using die cuts on it. Speed up the drying time with a heat gun if you're impatient like me..... I stamped on the flower petals after I had cut them out to make sure I got the words where I wanted them.

Supply list for my original card:

Rubber Dance stamps:
Sentiments from JNEN-2E: Just a Note (hello, friend) and B3-M: A little Birdie (love).

Elizabeth Craft Designs:
924 Crystal Flower Set 1
1241 Borders Leaves Peel-offs in Black


Here is Judi’s makeover of my Crystal Flowers card:





Judi loves pattern on pattern so she incorporated a random dot pattern paper with orange and silver metallic dots on a black background (Anna Griffin AAG1933). She also added more of the leafy border peel-offs and a Love-stamped flower that was inside the original card. (She said she cut the extra flower into two pieces to camouflage the fact that it didn’t have a center circle and glitter. If she hadn’t mentioned it I don’t think I would have noticed. Would you?)

Follow the instructions for my original card, but use the random dot pattern paper and a black cardstock card base for a 5” x 7” card (folded size). Use torn white paper and additional leafy border strips, along with stamped and glittered Crystal Flowers to complete the card front.

Judi, it’s your turn!

Thanks, Bibi. This swap was a lot of fun. It gave me a chance to combine a trio of surfaces – canvas, Shimmer Sheetz, and newsprint. The Crystal Flowers and straight bands are Shimmer Sheetz, the stamped and torn collage elements are newsprint, and the background is a piece of cardstock-backed canvas, punched with two holes for hanging.

Crystal Flower Card #3 – Judi’s Collage:










Instructions:

1. Round bottom corners and punch two quarter-inch holes in a cardstock-backed canvas measuring 6” x 6”. Paint the canvas with a mix of acrylic paints for a mottled surface. Use the palette shown (dark purple, black, and teal) or substitute other colors to customize the project. Set aside to dry.

2. Alter Shimmer Sheetz for flowers and horizontal bands using alcohol inks in colors shown or whatever palette you prefer. 

3. Die-cut Shimmer Sheetz Crystal Flowers using a metal adapter plate in your machine’s cutting “sandwich” (place Shimmer Sheetz between the adapter plate and the CUTTING side of the die; place these three inside the usual cutting plates).

4. Using StazOn ink in Jet Black, stamp the flowers with Grunge Swirls and stamp the bands with Sheet Music. With the same ink, stamp newsprint with the swirl pattern and Nostalgia.

5. Add an adhesive-backed gem to the center of each flower, bend the petals upward. Tear stamped papers into pieces for the collage.

6. Use the project photo as a guide, assemble the hanging card. Use double-sided adhesive tape to adhere the Shimmer Sheetz bands. Use Power Tabs to hold the flowers in place, use decoupage glue or a glue stick to hold the torn paper collage elements.

7. Add knotted twine for a hanging loop.


Supplies:

Rubber Dance stamps:
BK1-1E: Grunge Swirls
M1:4H: Sheet Music
CO3-4E: Nostalgia

Elizabeth Craft Designs:
924 Crystal Flower Set 1
1241 Borders Leaves Peel-offs in Black
SS0217 Shimmer Sheetz in Turquoise Gemstone (for flowers)
SS0103 Shimmer Sheetz in Blue Iridescent (for bands)
803 Metal Adapter Plate
Clear Double Sided Adhesive Tape

Other:
Die cutting machine
Faceted adhesive-backed gems
Power Tabs (Tombow)
Tim Holtz Alcohol Inks (Ranger)
6” x 6” cardstock-backed canvas
Decoupage glue or glue stick
Newsprint
Acrylic paints
Paintbrush

Links:
Rubber Dance Stamps: www.rubberdance.com
Elizabeth Craft design: www.ecraftdesigns.com


Thank you all for stopping by today. Judi and I hope you'll like our mini swap and we encourange you to do the same: One-to-one swaps are quick and fun!!

Have a great day!

:-) Bibi





Comments

Majo said…
What a neat idea and a wonderful result! Love both of your creations so much ♥
TwinkleToes2day said…
I love both of these with there striking colours and textures. Sounds like you both had fun. Thank you for the recipes too :D
Anonymous said…
What a charming idea this cooperation is and the results are awesome. I love the contrasting colour schemes.
xoxox
Anonymous said…
cool swap. I love with both of you did with those flowers
Unknown said…
Love your use of the word stamps, awesome :)
Bibi Lindahl said…
Thank you, everyone! It was such fun to do this mini swap. I've made LOTS more with that die set and will show more photos another day.
xox
Cataleya said…
OMG!!! It's amazing!!! :) So cool idea!!! :)
~Olga Kovalchuk
Unknown said…
What a fun thing to do Bibi. I love them all. I like the idea of die cutting a stamped background….mmmm…..more food for thought! Hugs x

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness is a state of mind - Art Journal Page

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Join our Combined Blog Hop!